About St. Michael Catholic Elementary School
At St. Michael we celebrate the fact that we educate the whole child spiritually, academically, emotionally, physically and socially.
Spiritually, we ...
live out gospel values (i.e. compassion, peace, hope, etc.) through acts of service and charity
- strive to enhance knowledge and practice of our Catholic faith model
- have a family-like culture permeates throughout the school
- have a learning environment that is dedicated to student success and doing whatever it takes to achieve this
- use early intervention strategies (Guided and differentiated instruction with the teacher to support from the Special Education Resource and Language Resource teachers)
- use data based decision- making on the level of the student, the class, the division and the whole school (i.e. data board, DRA, running reading records, PRIME Math assessments, etc.)
- have effective school improvement planning and review
- have monthly meetings of divisional teams as professional learning communities that focus on specific pedagogy-related discussions and team goal-setting related directly to classroom practice
- have extensive and frequent school, as well as board based, professional in-servicing
Emotionally and Physically, we...
- have a LEAD RECESS team that provides diverse opportunities for children for daily physical activity and exercise;
- have many activities which support Physical Literacy such as Rising Stars, Y on Wheels and Health and Wellness partnerships with Mohawk College and McMaster University.
Socially, we ...
- have established ways to resolve conflict constructively and peacefully through Restorative Practices.