Public announcement of school site and service provider
St. Michael Catholic Elementary School has been selected as the Hamilton-Wentworth Catholic District School Board’s host site for the one-year Ministry of Education and Ministry of Children and Youth Services pilot to improve school-based supports for children and youth with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and their families. As previously announced by the Ministry of Education, the pilot has two approaches:
- providing dedicated space for autism services on school site;
- offering targeted EA training.
These approaches are important steps towards greater collaboration of external ABA practitioners and schools. They will also support equity and inclusive practices for students with ASD.
• The HWCDSB will provide dedicated space at St. Michael Catholic Elementary School to allow external ABA clinicians from Hamilton Health Sciences – Ron Joyce Children’s Health Centre to come into the school and deliver services to students with autism.
• The pilot allows for one school site per participating pilot board.
• The EA training course is currently under development and is expected to be available in early 2018.
• The HWCDSB is also in the process of hiring an additional full-time ABA Expertise Professional with Board Certified Behaviour Analyst (BCBA) certification to support its teachers and EAs to improve supports for students with ASD. The Ministry is deliberately focusing on a small number school sites this year in order to take a measured approach. This will help them to learn how the HWCDSB can improve outcomes for students, their families, schools and communities going forward.
• The HWCDSB will be working closely with the Ministry of Education as the pilot is implemented.
• The HWCDSB will continue to work closely with our community partners to improve supports for all students, including those with autism.
• If you have any further questions, please contact our Project Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org